The most powerful and effective kick in karate is Maegeri. This kick just like a straight punch. Today we are talking about the basic technique of Maegeri or front kick.
Before start keeps in mind this is a traditional Shotokan kick. So you have to stretch your leg because of muscle hip joint basic exercise and worm up your body to circulate blood properly and also do not injure your muscle.
1. stand on kamae position
On this position, you have to switch to zenkutsu dachi stance, keep your hand to the side. It allows to balance yourself properly and It allows to extra bounce and doesn’t have to worry about your hand so you can focus on your kicks.
Later on when you advance then you can move to fight stance using your hand as a guard. At this time you need to focus on perfect basic techniques.
Karate aims to build character, improve human behavior, and cultivate modesty; it does not, however, guarantee it. Yasuhiro Konishi
So, after this stance sidewise your hand and hip forward, now the time for perfection. Make sure the stance is perfect and the body weight in this particular stance is front leg 30% and rear leg 70%. For the rear leg feet, you need to move it up to 45 degrees. The center point of the upper body needs to position on the center hip. Do not bend the body on front or back, be straight and also the eye straight.
2. Up your knee to the belt level
Now Up your knee to the belt level and make sure your hip and spinal cord are in straight position, just slightly bend your other leg for better balance. Now at this point, you need to kick out pointing your toe back and ball of feet forward. Hold back and step down in the same position.
3. Must practice standing front kick
After you have practice above kicking techniques, now it’s time to perfection.
- stand on Heisoku Dachi stance (Closed leg stance)
- Let’s knee up to the belt position or just up position.
- Kick to the front, back your toe during the kick.
- Back your leg to the same position and down.
- The best process is to set your back to the wall and pull up your leg, do not bend your hip and the upper portion and try to back the same spot each time.
Do’s and don’ts
At first, we talk about what you have to do for a perfect kick.
- You should up your knee to the belt position.
- Bend your other leg a little for balancing your body.
- Maintain the center of gravity.
- You must kick straight not swing your leg.
- Make the kick with the ball of feet and breath out.
- Fold your leg after the kick and set back on the same position.
Now don’t do this during the kick
- Don’t kick low or with a lazy attitude.
- Do not kick with the toe.
- Don’t swing your leg on the air.
- Don’t bend your upper body and hip.
- Maintain the same position of landing and aim the kick.
This kick like our punch that straight hit to the opponent. Just hip move forward and straight your kick. You have to lean back a little bit but not too far.
Always do warm your body up and after practice warm down, that will help to maintain your muscle health.
If you like and find this helpful please share this article.